sábado, marzo 03, 2007

Los Fingidores

So way back on February 9th I went to see The Pretenders at the Irish Village in Dubai. Since I'm new in the city I went alone, didn't knew anyone who'd liked them. For those of you who never, ever heard of this band, let me tell you they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Pretenders are a Punk-Rock band formed in the late 70's, founded by the famous lead singer/guitarist/songwriter Chrissie Hynde. The band has been through a lot of line-up changes over the years, since their album back in '94 The last of the Independents, they've been touring mostly as a "cover band" playing their hits (no disrespect). Although I had heard some of the band's singles before I never really payed attention to any of their records till last year when I was living in Madrid revising my music collection.
So this was my first Gig in Dubai and let me tell you it was a very enjoyable one. Chrissie and the band were just amazing, the sound was really clear and well equalized even though they played outdoors.
I was really surprised by the way Hynde, handles herself on-stage even at 50 something she still manages to play, sing, dance, move and curse like a top notch Rock Star! I would say she's a role model to all females Rock Stars wannabe's. I think she's the best rock and roll grandmother out there (meant as a compliment). They played mostly their greatest hits album, classics like "brass in pocket", "hym to her", "I'll stand by you", among others.
The Irish Village is a really nice place, located at the Aviation Club in Dubai (famous for hosting the Dubai Tennis Championship), there they have some Irish pubs with a common terrace, and a very cool atmosphere (I believe they have live music every weekend). The stage was set in front of the terrace. Sadly for me the average attendance age for this gig was like 40 or somewhere around that, all expats. As said before I really enjoyed the performance, I wouldn't pay to see them again on a big venue (since they play their hits and no new tunes) but definitely would go again to a more private presentation, in a pub or small-indoors venue.
Have you seen this band live, or went to this? Please comment on how you liked it, or what you think about 'em.