miércoles, febrero 28, 2007

Is it really possible?

I stumbled upon this web page shutdownday.org these guys have a good initiative. Their project is to find out how many people are willing to survive 24 hours without a computer. I don't think it is possible to stay in the city and not use a computer even unintentionally not your own, for example using an ATM, buying something form a store (paying cash even), if you use your phone (in most countries) or cellphone. Almost every activity in the city involves using a computing system, so in order to really survive without a computer you'd have to go camping or trekking (without any gadgets or gps systems).

I know for me it could be easy to spend a few days without using my computer , although I admit I rely on it for communications, entertainment, work, etc, etc.



Anyways I think its a good project, and even if it's not possible to do this so called "Shutdown Day" it's really helpful to raise awareness on how dependent on Computers we are these days and what limited activities we can do without them. Maybe some day computers will take over our lives, rebel against humans and exterminate us, that is if we don't exterminate ourselves...